Luchador Mask Series

For the series of change project I decided focus on luchador masks/luchadores as the constant subject matter and the use of different media in which the subject matter is executed as the change. In Mexican culture the luchodor/luchador masks represent more than just a source of entertainment. A luchadore’s mask represents the alter ego/ alias of the wrestlers. The Luchador wears his mask with pride and honor in and out of the ring. Mexican Luchadores are revered as respectful, powerful, and mysterious figures. I remember as a kid always watching them on the television either in the ring or in movies. I looked up to them as so do many others so i thought it was important for me to pay homage to these men and my childhood pastime. With each different piece I was attempting to reach out of my comfort zone and explore different media in which to render my designs.
El Luchador, Oil on canvas, 16x20’
In this piece I was attempting to recreate an old 1970’s luchador photoshoot scene which captures the raw emotion of mystery that luchador mask create. I was primarily focused on form, color, and texture in order to make it as realistic as possible.

My 2nd piece was this custom digital mask design that i created on my iPad using the application Procreate. In this piece i focused on shape, space, and color to create a unique yet pleasing image. 

Mucha Lucia, Watercolor and Ink, 8x10’ 
The 3rd piece is suppose to look like a vintage traditional tattoo flash sheet done with water colors. The form and color create the shape and mood of the design. It was important for me to pay attention to space so that my composition would be balance throughout.

The Mask, 16x20’, paint on wood panel (mdf) 
The 4th piece in the series was done by taking the contour of my digital design and conceptualizing it and then executing it into a physical interactive piece. 

Comments